When it comes to child visitation issues, it is vital that you have strong legal counsel guiding you. Your visitation rights, or the rights of the other parent, can directly impact the relationship you have with your child. Given the high stakes, it is crucial to have a dedicated child custody attorney by your side as you negotiate these important aspects.

A visitation lawyer in The Colony could use their experience and skill to resolve your complex visitation issue. You have rights as a parent, and a reliable and compassionate attorney could help you enforce them.

Understanding Child Visitation Rights

In general, the term “visitation” describes a noncustodial parent’s right to spend time with their minor child. Most of the time, the specific details regarding a parent’s visitation rights are spelled out in something called the “child visitation agreement.”

The purpose of these rights is to allow a noncustodial parent—meaning the parent that does not live with the child—to take physical custody of the child and spend time with them. This marital agreement will provide for the exact amount of time a parent has to spend with their child. This could include afternoon visits, overnight stays, or even vacations.

The courts are heavily involved in the process when necessary. However, many parents are able to come to an amicable visitation agreement that both parties can live with. A visitation attorney serving The Colony could provide legal insight with making such an agreement.

Supervised vs. Unsupervised Visitation

Visitation comes in two different forms: supervised and unsupervised. Supervised visitation occurs when there is a neutral third-party present during the visit. This type of visitation is court-ordered and usually stems from some previous act of the parent. Supervised visitation could occur due to anything from acts of violence to drug use. The other party present in this situation is often appointed from a non-profit organization but they could also be a state employee as well.

Most of the time, parents will have unsupervised visitation with their children. As the name suggests, there is no requirement that a neutral third party attends this type of visitation. The default in most situations is unsupervised visitation.

Enforcing the Visitation Schedule

Like all court orders, there are consequences that can come with the refusal to comply with a visitation order. The court has the power to address these violations in a number of ways. In some situations, the easiest way to resolve a dispute regarding visitation in The Colony is by allowing an attorney to negotiate with the other parent. Some violations are unintentional, while others can be resolved mutually.

When talking to the other parent is not enough, it may be necessary to seek enforcement options from the court. This typically involves filing a motion for contempt.

During a contempt hearing, the judge will hear from both sides to determine if the party in question violated the terms of the schedule. If the judge determines a violation has indeed occurred, they could fine the parent or even alter the terms of the visitation schedule.

Talk to a Visitation Attorney in The Colony Today

If you are involved in a visitation dispute or are looking to set up a schedule, now is the time to talk to an attorney. Strong legal counsel could ensure your rights are protected during this process. The Colony visitation lawyers are available to stand by you as you enforce your parental rights.

Meet Matt Towson

Our Law Firm’s approach to your case is based on individual circumstances. Whether it is a simple negotiated settlement, or it requires an aggressive approach, we will protect and defend your best interests.

Meet Matt Towson
Meet Matt Towson
Meet Matt Towson