Every divorced parent in The Colony has an obligation to provide financial support to their minor children. When parents no longer live together, the parent with less physical custody access may be obligated to pay child support to the primary custodian. This support is meant to cover the child’s basic needs, including food, housing, and medical care.

A goal-oriented family law attorney could help you advocate for better child support payments or assist you in arguing for lower payments if you are the one being asked to pay. These disputes often arise during divorce proceedings, but they can also stem from existing support orders as well. Talk to a child support lawyer in The Colony before agreeing to a support order for your kids.

Calculating Child Support in The Colony

While family law courts have the power to order both parents to make child support payments, these support orders typically require the noncustodial parent to make payments to the custodial parent to cover the expenses associated with housing and caring for a child. In other words, it is assumed that the parent with primary custody of the child will directly provide for their needs, and child support payments are designed to supplement that care.

To calculate the amount of support available to a child, a judge will plug the incomes of both parents into the state-wide child support formula. The number generated by this calculation is only a starting point, and the judge has the discretion to increase or decrease the amount ordered each month, depending on the family’s circumstances.

There are factors outside of the parents’ incomes that could impact the judge’s final decision on an appropriate child support amount. For example, the court will look at the child’s age as well as their specific needs. A child with special needs will likely require a larger child support award. Other factors the judge will consider include the cost of childcare or the amount of time each parent spends with the child.

Once the amount of monthly child support is set, parents have the right to agree to payments above and beyond this amount. What parents are unable to do is to agree to pay less. Only the court has the power to reduce the monthly child support payments or waive delinquent payments.

Challenging a Child Support Order

If a parent disagrees with the amount of child support awarded, they have the opportunity to object to the ordered amount. If a parent can prove that the proposed child support order is not in the best interest of their child, the court may agree to make changes. Parents may also request an increase in child support payments. Following a formal request, the court will consider a number of important factors before rendering a decision. A child support lawyer in The Colony could help parents challenge or modify the amount as necessary.

Contact a Child Support Attorney in The Colony Right Away

Child support disputes can be emotionally and financially taxing. While you want what is best for your children, you also deserve to be treated fairly in court. Experienced legal counsel could advocate for you as well as your child during these proceedings to facilitate the best outcome for your family.

It is risky to take on child support disputes alone. Contact a child support lawyer in The Colony today.

Meet Matt Towson

Our Law Firm’s approach to your case is based on individual circumstances. Whether it is a simple negotiated settlement, or it requires an aggressive approach, we will protect and defend your best interests.

Meet Matt Towson
Meet Matt Towson
Meet Matt Towson